- Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 or SARS-CoV-2 causes the disease COVID-19.
- The disease is spread by close contact from person to person .
- A research study investigated to see if physical distancing, wearing face masks, and wearing eye protection can prevent or minimize the viral transmission.
- Data was obtained for the SARS-CoV-2, the betacoronavirus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome, and MERS. All data were examined to determine if there is an overall trend for each precaution.
- The research identified 172 observational studies across 16 countries totaling to 25,697 patients.
- The finding suggests that one meter of physical distancing or more lowers the viral transmission and increases protection compared to distance of less than one meter.
- The finding also suggests that wearing face masks, particularly N95 or similar respirators, may reduce the risk of infection compared to disposable surgical masks or similar.
- Wearing eye protection was correlated with reduced infection.